So it’s been storming for a while, when suddenly—boom!—the house goes dark. Your power is out. What can you do while you’re waiting for power to be restored? Here are ten ideas for the next time you’re in the dark.
1. Play a Game – Board games, charades, hangman, tic-tac-toe… any game can be an a fun bonding experience with family and friends while the power is out. Ever ehard of the game “So There I Was”? Have each person write down at least one life event on a piece of paper. Place all the pieces in a hat or bowl. Pass the bowl around and have everyone draw one piece of paper. Then take turns telling stories. For example, “So There I Was…the Day of Graduation.” It’s a great way to get to hear stories about friends and family you might not know otherwise!
2. Read A Book – It’s simple, fun, and good for your brain! Using a flashlight, lantern, or just sitting by the window (if there’s enough light) to read a book can be a relaxing way to spend some time away from electronics. There are also book lights you can buy that clip onto your book for reading anytime, in any lighting.
3. Write a Letter – Older family members might appreciate a handwritten letter. It can also be a way to express important feelings or serve as a great tangible memory. Letters are sentimental and sometimes better than an email or text.
4. Eat all the Ice Cream and Popsicles – You don’t want them to go bad, so treat yourselves and eat them up!
5. Take a Nap – When the power is out, it is a great time to catch up on sleep.
6. Stargaze – If the storm is over and your power is out at night, take some time to check out stars and constellations when there’s less light pollution.
7. Come up with new recipes/meal ideas – Get talking about everyone’s favorite topic, food! Share what you’ve been craving for dinner and come up with new family recipes. Or, dig up an old cookbook or recipe cards and pick out some favorites to make after the power outage.
READY TO KEEP THE LIGHTS ON DURING THE NEXT POWER OUTAGE?
Consider a Generac home backup generator. When you have the ultimate source for backup power, you’ll never go through a utility outage in the dark again. Your permanently installed unit will restore power within seconds. Check out our products to learn more.